At Phoenix Handcraft, the end of the summer is a time for us to step back to get a broader view of our business, to plan out the next few months, and to check in with our longer-term goals. This summer we're reviewing our company values, with environmental sustainability at the top of the list. We're always trying to do better in this area, as a business and as a family. We love getting tips from others to help keep us inspired, so we thought we'd share a few tips here as well! We hope to make this a regular series, both here and in our newsletter.
So without further ado, here are just a few ways we can all do better in the summer months in treating our beautiful Earth right.
At the beach:
- Use mineral-based sunscreens and treated clothing to avoid coral damaging chemicals found in "standard" sunscreens.
- Pack out everything you bring, and bring an extra bag to collect trash and litter you find on the beach.
On a picnic:
- Use reusable dishes if possible. Replace single use plastic with biodegradable paper plates and napkins. Wash plastic cutlery so it can be used again.
- Bring along large containers of water and reusable bottles or cups to avoid single use water bottles.
- Set up your tent on the designated tent pad, and keep foot traffic to the campsite as much as possible. This helps contain the area of compacted soil, allowing trees and plants to flourish around the campsite. It also helps prevent additional soil erosion.